Friday 19 June 2009

Recycled item challenge...

Barb at I Wanna New Bag has set up a new challenge that some of you may be interested in taking part in. Every month or so she sets a challenge with a theme for recycling items into other products. The theme for this month is to use something a bit out of the ordinary. Not sure what that might be? Well take a look at my entry, YES! I have actually got organised ahead of schedule this time....


I bought years ago a plastic multi-pocket organiser to hang on the back of a door. Now some of you may remember that I have used this same hanger for another project for the same blog challenge to make a purse. The was a long time gap before I took this plastic organiser and cut it up again...

I started by looking at all of the pockets and wondering how I could take their storage use a stage further. We were due to go to the Eden project and I always take my camera....and with that an idea was born...

The flowers were all in full bloom so as we wandered round I snapped away with the camera and took loads of pictures.

I then slid the pictures into the pockets and sealed up the opening with a row of stitching. Once I had filled all of the pockets with pictures I then stitched up the sides. I did fold it right sides together before stitching and this was fine until I needed to turn the bag the right way round. It got there in the end but it was a struggle as there is very little give in it.

The next stage was to add some handles...

...because the top edge of the bag was already finished, because I used the finished edge of the organiser to my advantage, all I needed to do was to add some webbing handles. I left the inside as it was, the whole bag is wipe clean and it is very colourful!!

In case you missed the purse that I made to go with it....

This was a very off the cuff make so I did not really plan a tutorial for the bag but in my side bar I do have a more detailed explanation for the above purse.

So do pop over to see Barb and think about taking part. There is also a lot of inspiration and information to be found on her blog as well.

Well, I am now off to play with Sophie and her vast collection of Polly Pocket dolls, enjoy the rest of your evening.

xx

12 comments:

Jo said...

that's a great idea, well done! the bag looks great and it will be waterproof just in time for the british summer!
Josie x

JuliaB said...

This is brilliant Andrea!! absolutely brilliant! Did you have trouble with your machine foot sticking to the plastic
x

Gina said...

What a great idea. Finished result looks fabulous.

Twiggy said...

What a fab idea Andrea, looks great and practical too,
Twiggy x

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Ingenius!! Amazing repurposing job - pretty and practical.

maria said...

Love the bag, what a fantastic idea!

wonderwoman said...

wow what a brilliant idea and your bag looks amazing!

xxx

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed with this project!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! the bag is beautiful.
:) Missy

Gone to Earth said...

I hope you enjoyed your evening with Polly Pocket.I ended up in A&E with my daughter after one such adventure (she was 4 then)..... she pushed one of the pink stilletto shoes up her nose.... the doctor spoke very little English... it was a real drama.... funny to look back on :)

I really love the bag... the photo's make it absolutely gorgeous. I suppose you could so something similar if you printed them onto fabric as I don't have a handy wallet thing with clear pockets...... thinking...

Country Bliss said...

Brilliant idea and it looks gorgeous.
Yvonne x

Indigo Blue said...

Many thanks for yo9ur comments. Sewing the plastic was tricky and I need to get a teflon machine foot when I go the creative stitches in Exeter in September. it will make it glide along much more smoothly, less swearing needed!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...